The Pink Singers is the longest running LGBTQ+ choir in Europe. Established in 1983 to march in Gay & Lesbian Pride we’ve been singing ever since. Our aim is to share the joy of music and singing within our community and use our voices to raise awareness of LGBT+ issues and fight for equality.
We are looking for two new people to join our group of trustees to help support and grow the choir as we celebrate our 40th birthday and think to the future!
Who we are looking for
We don’t have one ideal person in mind, but rather are looking for fresh and diverse voices to join us who can bring new perspectives, experience or expertise that would help us achieve our ambitions for the charity.
Some of the opportunities and challenges we see for us ahead:
- Making our music and performances more accessible
- Reaching more diverse audiences
- Embedding inclusive cultures within the choir
- Growing our community outreach and charitable impact
- Strengthening our voice on LGBTQ+ rights issues and campaigns
- Improving how we manage the choir and its finances
If you feel motivated to help with just one of those, we’d love to hear from you. As a group of trustees we already have members with a breadth of expertise. We feel that people with experience in any of the following would complement our skills: performing arts, education, communications, campaigning, activism, accounting, financial management, fundraising, charity governance, youth work, and diversity and inclusion work could complement our skills. But most important is just a passion for our mission.
Representation matters to us too. We exist as a choir for the whole LGBTQ+ community so would really love to hear from people that are less well represented with us right now, including Trans and Non-Binary people, Black people and People of Colour, people with disabilities, and young people.
What we offer in return
Community – First and foremost, joining us as a trustee means becoming a ‘Pinkie’ and being part of a hundred-strong community of beautiful, diverse, inspirational LGBTQ+ people and allies who come together to sing, share and spread joy. We are our own chosen family.
Impact – As a trustee you get to influence the high-level and long-term direction of the choir and ensure that it is meeting its charitable objectives to share the joy of music among the LGBTQ+ community and raise awareness of LGBTQ+ rights. Our choir makes a real difference to people’s lives in the UK and around the world.
Growth – The trustees are a friendly and supportive group of seven people, all with skills which we are happy to share. The role would give you the opportunity to develop things such as leadership, governance, management, finance and communications skills and also increase your experience in the music, performing arts and charity sectors. We are happy to mentor people with little or no experience of being a trustee.
Trustee roles are unpaid but we will cover reasonable expenses including travel.
- Attend trustee meetings and contribute to discussion bringing your particular skills or experience to the table
- Support the volunteer leadership team who run the choir with advice and support
- Lead on actions or workstreams, engaging with volunteer working groups from the choir members where needed
- Be a visible and responsible representative of the charity and choir
- Ensure the charity operates in line with its constitution and meets its legal and financial duties as set out by the Charity Commission
The trustees currently meet monthly for 90 minutes. We mostly meet virtually but do get together in person in London on occasion. Attendance at the AGM and the occasional visit to a choir Sunday rehearsal or performance are also expected.
We are not setting any essential skills for the role as we want it to be as open to anyone as possible, but we expect our trustees to:
- adhere to The Pink Singers vision, values and constitution
- contribute the necessary time and support to the choir
- be committed to equality and inclusion for everyone
- abide by The Seven Principles of Public Life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
To express an interest or apply for this role please fill in our Pink Singers Trustee Recruitment Form
If you are interested in finding out more about the role you can use the form to start an online dialogue or arrange an informal conversation with one of the trustees.
If you are ready to apply, complete the form filling out the three simple questions which will ask about your motivations for applying, what you will bring to the role, and what you hope to get out of it.
Applications close on Tuesday 28th February
We will then shortlist and invite candidates to interview if needed during early March We hope to have new trustees in place by the end of March in time for our AGM.
If you have any issues with the recruitment form or need to apply in a way that better works for you please email email@example.com.
To understand more about The Pink Singers please read the About Us section of our website where you can find information about our history, our charitable aims, the current trustees and leadership team.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a trustee of The Pink Singers.