We are recruiting for the position of Musical Director. Please see the role description and requirements below. The closing date for applications by email is 1st December 2023.
Musical Director Role Description
Role title: Musical Director
Remuneration: Annual fee works out at £40-45/hr, plus additional fees payable for extra work over and above the agreed requirements
Employment Type: Self-employed, 3 year fixed term contract subject to annual review with the board of Trustees, with a 6 month probation
Start date: February 2024
Selection: Interview and audition process.
As the longest running LGBTQ+ choir in Europe, The Pink Singers was established in London in 1983 to march in London’s Gay & Lesbian Pride and we’ve been singing, and marching ever since. Though a community choir, we have a reputation for high standards of performance that we are keen to uphold and grow.
We are a registered charity run by volunteers, and our aim is to share the joy of music within the LGBTQ+ community in the UK and around the world, and to promote and celebrate equality and diversity.
More information including our charitable aims can be found on our website.
- Conduct weekly rehearsals on Sunday in London between 14:00-18:00
- Conduct two London concerts a year in January and June/July
- Conduct other smaller gigs (around 5-7 a year) that may be in London, in the UK or overseas, but particularly, important festivals such as Hand in Hand and Various Voices
- Be a part of the creative team working towards the musical direction to articulate the choir’s vision
- Work with the artistic director within the music team that sets our themes and visions
- Attend meetings as required
- Musicianship qualifications
- Previous experience in leading a large SATB choir
- Pianist (ideally to a high standard, but not essential)
- Good musical ear, and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience of vocal technique work
- Enable choir to emote songs
- Able to work with different genres of music
- Arranging skills
- Develop vocal blend, and engage with text
● Adhere to The Pink Singers vision, values and constitution
● Be committed to equality and inclusion for everyone
● Abide by The Seven Principles of Public Life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity,
accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
What we offer in return
- Community – Joining us means you becoming a ‘Pinkie’, a hundred-strong community of beautiful, diverse, inspirational LGBTQ+ people who come together to sing, share and spread joy. We are our own chosen family.
- Impact – As MD, you get to influence the high-level and long-term direction of the choir to share the joy of music among the LGBTQ+ community and raise awareness of their rights. Our choir makes a real difference to people’s lives in the UK and around the world.
- Growth – The role would give you the opportunity to develop your skills in conducting, working with, and managing a diverse choir of singers with mixed abilities, with a desire to improve their vocal performance.
Please send in your curriculum vitae, and an optional video of you conducting a choir to email@example.com
Closing date for applications
1st December 2023